Care Leaver

The Local Offer

The Children and Social Work Act 2017 requires councils to publish a local offer for ALL care leavers from 16-25. The local offer tells you about all the services and support that is available to young people when they leave care. It should include information about legal and financial entitlements (rights) as well as any extra support that the council might choose to give.

The local offer includes details of the services and support that the council provides in relation to:


Health and Wellbeing

Relationships and Keeping Safe

Education and Training






With staff and young people, Devon County Council have been working over the last few months to develop the offer in line with national good practice examples. We hope the design is clear and easy to understand for both professionals and young people. We want to continue to develop the Local Offer in line with our Corporate Parenting duties.  You can download a full copy here. Also here’s a guide to Care Leaver’s Entitlements .

Are you a care leaver?

Coram Voice have put together this helpful step by step calculator to help you work out whether you’re entitled to care leaver’s services. Click here to access the calculator. 

If you can’t find the answers you are looking for here speak to your social worker, PA or foster carer or e-mail us at

Staying put

The National Care Advisory Service have created a guide for young people about “Staying Put”. A change in the law means your local authority has to support you and your foster carer after you are 18 to live together if that is what everyone wants. You can read this here.

Pathway Planning

The Who Cares Trust have put together this really useful guide all about Pathway Planning. Every looked after child must have a pathway plan, usually starting around your 16th birthday. It’s the law!

It explains what you should expect, why it’s really important and how you can prepare for yours.  Follow this link  to read all about it. Take a copy with you when you meet your social worker or personal advisor. It will help you remember all the things you need to know.

Financial Support

The Who Cares Trust have produced a leaflet all about financial entitlements for care leavers over the age of 18.  Follow this link  to see what you could be entitled to.  You can show this to your personal advisor or worker and ask them to support you to get funding.

NICE Guidelines for moving on from care to adulthood  …

The National Institute for Healthcare Excellence (NICE)  have produced guidelines telling people who work for Children’s Social Care and Health services how they should support young people moving to adulthood.  They have recommended the following:

‘People using services have the right to be involved in discussions and make informed decisions about their care.’

You can read the full document here to find out more.  If you want any help or support reading this document ask your worker, PA or speak to one of the Participation Team.





Want to Talk?

Get in touch

Fact or Fiction?

Your questions answered


Get help with some of life’s difficult times